1000 Friends of Maryland has been the voice for smarter growth since 1994. The organization advocates for a more environmentally and economically sustainable future that creates opportunities for all Marylanders through better development patterns.
The current strategic plan includes five strategies
- Improve state and local planning to better create places that are economically vibrant, socially equitable, and environmentally sustainable.
- Create, inform and advocate for changes that create improved opportunity, social equity, and justice through smarter development and transportation decisions.
- Strengthen rural economies and protect open space to reduce development pressure on critical lands.
- Educate, support, and celebrate smart growth champions in the private sector, government, and non-profit community.
- Build a strong, effective organization to accomplish our goals.
The Executive Director will assume responsibilities for day-to-day management, fundraising, and policy strategy. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works with them to ensure the financial stability and growth of the organization.
Start date is November 2017.
- Vision, Collaboration, and Communication
- Be the Voice for Smart Growth in Maryland – set out agenda for 1000 Friends of Maryland in the context of Maryland’s pressing challenges and opportunities at the local, regional, and state level.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
- Identify and clearly communicate policy priorities and positions to legislators, regulators, government officials, and business leaders.
- Plan legislative campaigns as needed.
- Be the chief media strategist and primary liaison to the press.
- Promote policy objectives by using both traditional and social media.
- Raise and grow the current $350,000 budget through continued foundation support, increased contributions from major and small donors, events, and other opportunities.
- Organization and Operations Management
- Recruit and retain qualified, talented staff.
- Keep the team motivated, productive, and goal-oriented
- Ensure that budgeting, cash flow analyses, and income and expense reporting, is kept up-to-date and accurate.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least six years of experience in upper management of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit strongly preferred.
- Background in and experience with issues related to sustainable and smart growth.
- Proven ability to set and manage a budget.
- Experience in state and/or local advocacy.
- Robust problem solving, communications, leadership and collaboration skills.
- Positive attitude, professional workmanship, detail-oriented self-starter with results driven work ethic.
- This is a full-time, salaried position located in Baltimore, Maryland. The office is located in our historic brownstone and requires the ability to walk up flights of stairs.
- The Executive Director oversees 1 full-time and 1 part-time staff plus consultants.
- Some travel is required throughout the state and to other locations.
- Working outside normal business hours is required.
- Proficiency in Windows 10 and Microsoft Office is necessary.
- 1000 Friends provides excellent benefits including a flexible, positive, and supportive work environment, paid time off, health benefits including vision and dental, and sabbatical leave.
- Salary range: $75,000 - $90,000 based on experience.
Please email a PDF copy of your resume, cover letter, and brief (2 – 4 pages) writing sample to BoardChair @ FriendsOfMD.org
First round of resume reviews will begin July 15, 2017.
1000 Friends of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.