About 1000 Friends
We live and work in Maryland, home of the Chesapeake Bay, vibrant and diverse natural areas, historic towns and cities, and a natural and built resource base which has the potential to provide a rich quality of life. We want a future for our state that secures for all citizens the benefits of this wealth. This potential is threatened by poorly managed growth and development - decaying urban and village centers, congested roads, degraded natural resources, declining agricultural economy, and inadequate transportation choices. This pattern of growth exacerbates many of our communities' problems.
We support a new pattern of development that we can afford - socially, economically, environmentally.
1000 Friends of Maryland is committed to:
- Preserve the rich array of our natural resources
- Maintain and revitalize our existing communities
- Protect historic resources and integrate them into the life of the community
- Assure efficient, effective transportation choices for all citizens
- Support development which takes into account the public's interest
- Fully realize the goals of smart growth.
1000 Friends of Maryland works on the basis of sound information and knowledge to convince decision-makers and the public to look to the future and not just to tomorrow. As Friends of Maryland, we advocate for Maryland's future by:
- Informing and involving the public in issues related to growth
- Building partnerships with concerned citizens, organizations, businesses, and decision-makers
- Providing leadership, information, advocacy, and technical assistance
- Challenging public and private investment choices and policies which are anti-smart growth
- Assisting the state and its communities to realize a vision for the Maryland of the 21st Century!
An all-volunteer organization incorporated in 1994, 1000 Friends hired its first executive director in August 1998 and program manager in October 1998. In the spring 2001 we also purchased our historic building and are currently renovating this beautiful facility.